SDM is a collaborative, medical decision-making process between patients and their Oncology Health care providers when multiple options are considered clinically acceptable.
The key elements of SDM include:
- 1. Involvement of both the Oncology healthcare team and the patient in the decision-making process.
- 2. Sharing information by both the Oncology healthcare provider and the patient.
- 3. Building consensus through the expression of preferences by both the Oncology healthcare provider and patient.
- 4. Agreement by both the Oncology healthcare provider and patient on the decision to implement.
We carry out shared decision making in our practice with SHARE:
- 1. Seek our patient’s participation
- 2. Help our patients explore and compare treatment options
- 3. Assess our patient’s values and preferences
- 4. Reach a decision with our patient
- 5. Evaluate our patient’s decision